The Residences of the Royal House of Savoy – UNESCO

Below you can find the complete list of Piedmontese buildings that are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site, the quoted text comes from the website  www.patrimoniomondiale.it

“The serial site is made up of 22 buildings, 11 located in the center of Turin, the others distributed according to a radiocentric system around the city.

The COMMAND AREAis a large complex of buildings connected to the courtyard, where centralized power was exercised in its political, administrative and cultural forms.

Palazzo Reale Royal Palace (Turin)

It is the courtly nucleus of the “Command Zone” with the role of center of power and place of representation of dynastic magnificence.

– Armeria Reale Royal Armory (Turin)

– Palazzo della Prefettura e Archivio di Stato Prefettura and State Archives Palace (Turin)

Designed by Filippo Juvarra and built under the direction of Benedetto Alfieri, they constitute one of the first examples, in the western world, of architecture born specifically with administrative and archive functions.

– Facciata del Teatro Regio Facade of the Teatro Regio (Turin)

Built according to a design by Benedetto Alfieri, it was completely destroyed by a fire in 1936, except for the facade wall, which is the only remainder of the Savoyard factory.

– Accademia Militare Military Academy (Turin)

It was an integral part of the larger Castellammonte project which also included the Royal Riding School. Of the original seventeenth-century structure only a few columns and fragments of the porch remain today.

– Cavallerizza Reale Royal riding school (Turin)

Place intended for court exercises and equestrian shows, it was built between 1740 and 1742 by Benedetto Alfieri.

– Regia Zecca Royal mint (Turin)

It is the building that ends the Command Zone towards the east. Renovated several times, it still retains, at least externally, part of the original characters.

– Palazzo Chiablese (Turin)

In 1753 the residence was given to the Duke of Chiablese and completely reshaped by Benedetto Alfieri.

Palazzo Madama (Turin)

The palace summarizes the history of Turin. The origin is the Roman gateway to the city; in the Middle Ages it became a fortress and then, between the fifteenth and fifteenth centuries, a castle. The period of greatest splendor is when it become the residence of the two royal ladies (in italian Madame), when the representative apartment is built on the main floor and the staircase with the scenographic facade is built according to Filippo Juvarra’s design.

– Palazzo Carignano (Turin)

The palace was built between 1679 and 1685 for the Savoy Carignano family, a collateral branch of the ruling dynasty. In 1859 it is destined to host the first Italian Parliament.

 

The CROWN OF DELIGHTS (Corona di delizie) is a system of extra-urban residences dedicated to leisure, parties and hunting which, arranged radially around Turin, underline the central role of the capital.

Castello del Valentino (Turin)

The castle is the river villa built by Amedeo di Castellamonte for Cristina of France according to the French pavillon-système model.

– Villa della Regina Villa of the Queen (Turin)

The “vineyard” was erected, at the beginning of the seventeenth century, at the behest of Cardinal Maurizio di Savoia, as a place for leisures and learned conferences on the model of the Roman Baroque villas and subsequently redefined on a project by Filippo Juvarra.

– Castello di Moncalieri Moncalieri Castle (Moncalieri – TO)

It is one of the oldest Savoy residences. Its foundation dates back to the Middle Ages, although the current appearance is due to the interventions that from the 17th to the 19th century transformed the fort into a delightful place in the center of a large historical park.

Castello di Rivoli Rivoli Castle (Rivoli – TO)

Strategically located along the Via Francigena, the castle has ancient military origins. When it became the property of the Savoy it was used for particularly important court ceremonies until it became a court residence between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.

Castello di Venaria Reale Castle of Venaria Reale (Venaria Reale – TO)

It is the most grandiose of the residences making up the “Corona di Delizie”, commissioned by Carlo Emanuele II as a maison de plaisance and intended primarily for court hunting. Built in its central core by Amedeo di Castellamonte, the residence becomes the subject of a series of projects and interventions that transform the original hunting lodge into a real palace.

– Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi Stupinigi Hunting Lodge (Stupinigi – TO)

In 1729 Vittorio Amedeo II commissioned Filippo Juvarra to build a hunting pavilion that meets the needs of the hunting activity together with those of greater symbolic charge, of the representation of the court.

 

The nineteenth-century holiday resorts are pre-existing buildings, spread over a wider area than the residential systems of the Baroque age. The use of the buildings is closely linked to the summer resort of the reigning dynasty and the cadet branch of the Savoy Carignano family.

– Castello di Agliè Agliè Castle (Agliè – TO)

The building was born as a medieval defensive structure. In the seventeenth century, by the will of Count Filippo di San Martino, it takes on the appearance of a majestic villa-palace that tradition attributes to the work of Amedeo di Castellamonte.

– Borgo Castello de La Mandria Castle village of La Mandria (Venaria Reale – TO)

The La Mandria settlement was born in 1708, when Michelangelo Garove, by the will of Vittorio Amedeo II, created a structure intended for the breeding and reproduction of service breed horses at the nearby Royal Palace of Venaria Reale.

– Castello di Racconigi Racconigi Castle (Racconigi – CN)

The castle assumes, at least until the end of the 16th century, a fundamental role of territorial control. At the beginning of the seventeenth century it became the residence of the Savoy Carignano family, who entrusted the transformation of the building to Guarino Guarini.

– Castello e Agenzia di Pollenzo Castle and Agency of Pollenzo (Pollenzo – CN)

The Carlo Albertino complex is composed of a castle, square, church of San Vittore, tower and farmhouse. Built in the Middle Ages as a fortified structure, it was subsequently transformed to adapt it to residential use and update it to the mannerist taste. The property passed to the Savoy family only in the eighteenth century.

– Castello di Govone Castle of Govone (Govone – CN)

The castle has medieval origins but is rebuilt in its current Baroque forms starting from 1697 by the will of the Solaro counts. At the end of the eighteenth century the property passed to the Savoys and subsequently became the favorite summer residence of the king of Sardinia, Carlo Felice, and his wife.

Rispondi

Inserisci i tuoi dati qui sotto o clicca su un'icona per effettuare l'accesso:

Logo di WordPress.com

Stai commentando usando il tuo account WordPress.com. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Google photo

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Google. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Foto Twitter

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Twitter. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Foto di Facebook

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Facebook. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Connessione a %s...

Questo sito utilizza Akismet per ridurre lo spam. Scopri come vengono elaborati i dati derivati dai commenti.